Momentum Dance Studios Commitment To You:
1. Child Safety & Feedback/Complaints Handling Policy
2. Student/Parent Code of Conduct
3. COVID-19 Health Policy
Momentum Dance Studios invite students, parents and staff to view a summary of our Child Safety & Complaints Handling Policy below. This policy is our commitment to creating a safe environment for children to learn and perform at our school. We welcome any feedback from students, parents and staff about this policy which is regularly revised.
CHILD SAFETY & FEEDBACK/COMPLAINTS HANDLING POLICY
1. Recruitment Security
All staff with face to face contact with children have a valid Working With Children Number which is verified via the Office of the Children’s Guardian. As a parent, you have the right to request your child's WWCC to "Check the Check" yourself via the Office of the Children's Guardian website.
2. Duty of Care
Our studio is always managed by the school Principal from the reception desk to supervise staff, students and cater to parent enquiries. This also enables our dance teacher’s primary focus to be on the students in their class at all times. We also provide Assistant Teachers in our youngest aged classes when class sizes exceed 8 students.
A child is never left alone at the studio. Late parents are contacted and the child will be supervised by the Studio Manager and their teacher until they arrive.
3. First Aid/Medical
Key staff are first aid trained. First aid equipment is available at the studio. In addition, Medical Action Plans are documented for children with special medical needs in collaboration with parents/carers.
4. Facilitating an Open Environment
Parents are invited to attend Open Day which is held at the end of Terms 1,2 & 3 to observe their child’s lessons. Parents are welcome to check on their child at any stage of their child's class by request through the reception desk. The school Principal actively enters and views lessons throughout lesson times for observation. Private lessons are not offered at Momentum Dance Studios.
5. Performance Protection for Children
Performance experiences are well planned, documented in detail for parents and offered in professional theatre environments only. Careful consideration is made when selecting music, choreography and costuming to portray all children respectfully and are always age appropriate.
Students are not asked to perform for promotional purposes or in competition with other schools/students. Occasionally, we contribute performance work to community based events which are fully supervised by Momentum staff.
6. Feedback/Complaints Handling Policy
We welcome feedback from students, parents and staff which can be done via phone, email or in person. All feedback or complaints are taken seriously and attended to by the School Principal who will provide an initial response in writing within 48 hours. Important issues are best communicated in writing. Please allow a reasonable amount of time for your issue to be looked into as this may require consultation with staff and/or another student to establish the full details and plan for resolution.
Anonymous student surveys are available annually for students to provide their opinions about their experience at Momentum Dance Studios, as we strive to improve our services for our students and value their unique perspective.
7. Commitment To Ongoing Training & Review
The Principal, Natasha Swan participates in ongoing Child Safety Training through the Office of Children's Guardian and the Department of Education and is committed to regular review of current policies and practices to ensure Momentum Dance Studios is a Child Safe environment.
Note: This policy has been developed by Momentum Dance Studios and based on information sourced from:
Australian Dance Eduction Standards Association (ADESA)
Office of the Children's Guardian - Principles for Child Safe Organisations
Australian Dance Council (Ausdance)
UN Conventions of the Rights of the Child
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR PARENTS/STUDENTS:
Our school aims to provide an inspiring and nurturing environment for all students to participate in dance.
Behaviour that negatively impacts or inhibits this culture is not tolerated.
Student Code of Conduct for Classes & Performance Events
- Attend lessons wearing appropriate dance wear and dance specific footwear
- Hair shoulder length or longer to be tied back in a pony tail or bun
- No jewellery, including watches to be worn when training or exercising
- Arrive on time to ensure participation in the set warm-up exercises|
- Inform your teacher if you need to leave the studio for any reason eg: toilet/water break
- Follow safe dance instructions clearly and ask if you do not understand anything in a lesson
- Do not film or photograph other students, choreography or exercises without verbal permission from your director, teacher and students. This should only occur to aid learning and for no other reason.
- Be aware that dance is a team activity therefore reoccurring absences or withdrawal from class during the year impacts the whole class and a student’s skill development overall.
- Treat all staff and fellow students in a respectful manner
eg: no swearing, aggression or disruptive behaviour that prevents learning
- Expect to be treated in a respectful manner and to feel safe, report to the Director if you do not.
Parent/Guardian Code of Conduct
- Parents are not permitted within the studio during lesson time.
- Parents may view their child at any time by seeking entry permission from the front desk first and entering with the director or front desk manager only.
- Open Day occurs in Terms 1, 2 and 3 to view your child’s progress. Etiquette on Open Day is to attend to support and encourage all students participating. (Pending Covid Restrictions)
- Photography or filming of your own child is allowed on Open Day only, unless a parent has requested this is not to occur in writing and prior to the day.
- Kids combo class has capacity restrictions on Open Day with only one Parent or Guardian permitted each term.
- All enquiries should be directed to the front desk as teachers have a duty of care and priority to teach students during lesson time. Please view the Feedback/Complaints Handling Policy above for guidance.
- Be respectful to staff, students and other parents/guardians at all times.
eg: no swearing, aggression or comments of a personal nature etc
- All classes are structured by strict age guides and cater to mixed ability levels, not skill level or previous training experience unless exceptional circumstance approved by director.
- Students with unpaid fees will not be stopped from participating in lessons. However, if you are experiencing difficulties paying term fees on time please contact the director to organise a payment plan and to avoid late fees. Longstanding debts are referred to debt collection agencies otherwise.
The school reserves the right to unenrol a student if the Student/Parent Code of Conduct is breached.
COVID-19 HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY
Our Covid-19 Health & Safety Policy is regularly reviewed and updated. Please see below the Term 1 2021 Plan for Parents.